Who We’re Looking For
We seek individuals from all backgrounds, majors, and experiences who have what it takes to excel as teachers and motivate students from low-income communities. While we don’t believe that there is one profile of an “ideal” applicant, or an “ideal” teacher, we do look for individuals who have leadership abilities and a results-focused mindset.
In particular, we look for:
- Leadership and vision: setting innovative, ambitious visions and achieving them in a concrete, measurable way in academic, professional, and extracurricular settings
- A problem solving and solutions-focused mindset with great critical thinking skills: breaking down a complex problem into many parts and generating realistic solutions
- Organization skills: breaking down a broad plan into a detailed plan, meeting deadlines, and working efficiently
- Perseverance and commitment in the face of difficulty: making your vision happen, no matter what the obstacles
- Adaptability: thinking and making good decisions quickly, given new and unfamiliar situations
- Interpersonal skills: motivating and leading others to excel
- Respect for others: working and interacting well with others from different backgrounds
We think that these broad qualities are factors for success anywhere, including inside the classroom.